What was lurking in my products at home...


I'm in the process of moving toxic products out of my home. I started a bit on my own on research, but hit a wall mainly because even though company's say all-natural, organic, chemical free doesn't always ring to be true which is REALLY disappointing. A company I adored and applauded not all of their products are entirely 'clean'... the trouble I snagged into was finding a product that would work for my husband. He doesn't want to smell like lavender, oranges, or coconuts. He wants to smell like a man haha without the funk, but manly. You know what I mean? So trading out products for him has been quite the challenge!

 My husband's first product scan was very bad, he realized it was bad but I couldn't get him to make the switch. He was in love with this stuff *cringe*!

Just a typical men's product...right?





Doesn't seem so bad, until I scanned it with the think dirty app and showed him. These were the results: 




>Fragrance/Parfum: A combination of nearly 3000 fragrant ingredients to mask odors and add a pleasant scent. Company's do not have to disclose what they their signature scent cocktail is.
Health Concern: Hormone disruptor and Allergen. 

Second runner up is...

>Cocomide Mea: Synthetically modified coconut oil. Foaming Agent. 
Health concerns: Low 'possible' carcinogen. 


He wont throw it out just yet, but it's almost done with and I will NOT be buying this again. So I went researching around. I came across a company I thought the whole entire line would be clean, don't get me wrong their products ARE the cleanest I've stumbled across. I found the manliest cleanest body wash I could find that he would actually use...




So I scanned it...



>Phenoxyethol - Commonly used synthetic antimicrobial preservative used in cosmetics. There are no reports of this compound being in natural plant extracts. 
Health Concerns: FDA named Phenoxyethol can depress the central nervous system and may cause vomiting or diarrhea, which can cause dehydration in infants; Neurotoxin. skin irritation and allergy. 

Second ingredient runner up is: 

>Sodium coco-sulfate: A surfactant derived from coconut oil. SCS is a mild cleanser and conditioner. Commonly used  as a SLS or SLES substitute, but still not a natural ingredient.
Health Concerns: Limited data, unknown. Contamination concerns with 1, 4-DIOXANE
(don't click the link unless your brave enough to find out)


 I really look forward to swapping out this crap too, sorry not sorry. Good thing is, Young Living just formulated a men's 3-in-1 and that's going to be on my Essential Rewards order soon! And it's MANLY smelling, a win for my hubby because he's been the hardest one yet to find clean (toxin free) products for.  



Ingredients: 
Water, Decyl glucoside, Glycerin, Sodium lauryl glucosides hydroxypropylsulfonate, PCA glyceryl oleate, Xanthan gum, Glyceryl caprylate, Sodium caproyl/lauroyl lactylate, Cucuribita pepo (Pumpkin) seed extract, Sodium chloride, Sodium levulinate, Virola sebifera nut oil, Glyceryl undecylenate, Picea pungens† (Idaho Blue spruce) branch/leaf/wood oil, Sodium phytate, Aloe barbadensis leaf juice powder, Nigella sativa seed extract, Cananga odorata† (Ylang ylang) flower oil, Ocotea quixos† (Ocotea) leaf oil, Chamaecyparis obtusa† (Hinoki) oil, Artemisia pallens† (Davana) flower oil, Cedrus atlantica† (Cedarwood) bark oil, Lavandula angustifolia† (Lavender) oil, Coriandrum sativum† (Coriander) seed oil, Citrus limon† (Lemon) peel oil, Picea mariana† (Northern Lights Black spruce) leaf oil, Citric acid†100% pure, therapeutic-grade essential oils.


On the ewg website these ingredients are rated a '1' so this is a pretty dang clean body wash (I linked some of the ingredients just click the words). That will get you clean without the harmful toxins. I hope this post opened your eyes. I was hesitant of doing a post like this. It's a little embarrassing, it's scary and it's honest. I'm NOT posting to have a brand war, this is point blank just why you should research. I learned the hard way. I know it takes time, I urge you to do research what you are putting on your children and your family. Why give your money to company's who aren't looking out for your best interest, your health. Swapping out products is taking time and these are products I stumbled across before discovering I had other options, but it's worth it for our health. I'm not all green a crunchy, but I am trying to make a conscious effort to be aware and take it one step at a time. It's a start right? Going from a 9 rating to a 5, soon to 2 to none. Progress is better than nothing!













Resources I used to start my research: 

Scan your products: https://www.thinkdirtyapp.com/

Do research: http://www.ewg.org/?gclid=CPfkpY3b0dQCFZGCswodbUwAGw

Regulations: https://www.fda.gov










*All information on Green Mountain Mama Blog is meant for educational and informational purposes only. The statements on this blog have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Any products mentioned and/or information are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. Readers are advised to do their own research and make decisions in consultation with their health care provider. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a medical condition or are taking any medication, please consult your physician.

Comments

Popular Posts